Sunday, November 18, 2007

While I'm waiting...

I'm still waiting for the floor tom to come from eBay to put finish my "bass" drum. In the meantime I've been refinishing the toms. I was going to recover them, but the cost of the wrap put me over my budget. The toms are made of mahogany and they are a little rough. I was wondering what to do with them, then I remembered the Craviotto Cherry/walnut set I saw in an ad.

I like the dark bottom half with the orangish top.

The shell I already have for my bass tom has a finish on it that is sort of greenish/gold. I have some Behr deck and fence stain that is sort of orange so I used it on the toms. I'll take the wrap off the tom that is on the way and finish it the same and inlay a pattern between them to hide the seam. I stained the toms yesterday and I 've put on a couple of coats of poly. I'm hoping they will turn out similar to the Craviotto's.

I also reversed the beater on the pedal so it will hit upward now. It seems to work well. I post some pictures of the drums when they are further along.

No comments: